Monday, November 29, 2010
We’ve all heard of Santa Claus Anonymous, whose main goal is make sure underprivileged children receive toys.
Get the holiday scoop and poop:
Ho, ho, ho - enjoy wine, beer, food and help Santa Claus Anonymous
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Read the full story: What’s in your stuffing not what’s in your wallet?
Monday, November 22, 2010
Get the full story and learn where to order: Just in time for the holidays – Gone to Smoke Cards
Whether you are fixing the entire Thanksgiving meal or bringing a dish how can you resist not looking at ifood.tv’s FREE 4 color Thanksgiving e-cookbook.
Let them show you how to cook like a pro with easy tips and culinary tricks.
Get all the details: Baltimore check out the FREE Thanksgiving E-Cookbook
One of my tenets that I have is not to write about restaurant closings, it is sad, it is someone’s dream dying, it is someone’s house or child’s college education that has been wagered to create a restaurant, a place of hospitality. There are plenty who will write about these moments, it is there job – for me it would just be click-thrus on a serious hobby. Now that I have explained this, why am I writing this story?
A memorial for times past
The corner of Reisterstown Road and Sudbrook Lane housed two restaurants in the same building over the many years; first Spalding’s Cocktail Lounge and in the later years the Backfin Restaurant
Pikesville restaurant locations are officially gone
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Check out this holiday gift giving idea:
Tradition, TRADITION! Encyclopedia of Jewish Food for Hanukkah
Read about all the changes and get coupons:
Significant changes at Boston Markets: service and food selections upgraded
Friday, November 19, 2010
Let me set the scene for my little pseudo rant. Yesterday was day two of a back-to-back gig working in Washington DC as a kitchen slave. It means early mornings up at 4 a.m. and out the door by 5 a.m. It isn’t glamorous, it truly is the washing of lettuce, blanching veggies and washing a lot of pots but it pays well. I learn a lot from my friend Sylvia, the chef, and lunch/leftovers are excellent. I have yet to learn to go to bed early the night before so I’m usually operating on four hours sleep. Scene 1
Read the full rant:
A bag of Utz potato chips and Kathy Griffin or a rant by any other name
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
- Hosting its first nationwide food drive at all Walmart stores,
- Calling on Facebook fans to select communities that will receive $1.5 million in grants,
- Donating 65 refrigerator food trucks to Feeding America network food banks, and
- Helping The Salvation Army provide meals with a $1 million donation.
Walmart Announces Holiday Campaign Focused on Fighting Hunger
Monday, November 15, 2010
|Carver Center for Arts and Technology won the 2010 Maryland State ProStart culinary competition|
Saturday, November 13, 2010
So chatting with a food friend when he says a car pulled in front of him on Charles Street with vanity license plate TopChef on a BMW. “Wait”, he said, “he is going into a Subway.” You know me, the hair on my arms stood up and I said can you get a picture and send it to me?
Catch the full rant: Top Chef alumni spotted at a Subway on Charles Street
Get the full story: Case for Corkage in Maryland gets VIP voice
Perk up you holiday table and celebrations with a festive, gourmet menu. Award-winning Chef DeLutis will be teaching an optional hands-on cooking class at Sotto Sopra Restaurant on Sunday, November 21st starting at 11 a.m.
Get all the details and check out the menu:
Gourmet Holiday Cooking Class at Sotto Sopra Restaurant
Friday, November 12, 2010
Read the full story and get Nick's list of classes and appearances:
Just in time for holiday baking: Bake! by Nick Malgieri
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Are you heading out to dinner on Tuesday, November 16th? Do I have a suggestion for you and it is a deeeeelicious way to support the Baltimore School for the Arts. The Baltimore School for the Arts provides students with intensive pre-professional training in the arts in the context of a rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
The Wine Market, located at 921 E. Fort Avenue is offering up a three course dinner for you to enjoy - Check out the menu!!!!
$35 three course dinner at The Wine Market will make many feel good
You have to love chefs, no question. They are always there to support charities in so many ways and they answer the call giving of their time, food and dining certificates.
The next hot foodie event: Get the details:
Regional chefs come together for charity
We are coming in at the tail end of the Baltimore Sun's best of the city's blog contest and Dining Dish is #2 in the standings for the best Foodie blog. I need your help, a big push today and tomorrow with votes. If you have already voted then you are registered at the Baltimore Sun so it is easier.
Please vote, show some blog love.
The Baltimore Sun has kicked off their best blog contest for 2010 and I would like you to vote for my Dining Dish "food" Blog that I've been writing for five years.
If you would be so kind as to vote in 2 categories:
1. Best foodie blog - DINING DISH
2. Best overall blog - DINING DISH (there is a link at the bottom of the standings)
Vote once and I'm thrilled BUT if you vote once every day from now through November 12 - that would be SUPER and let me know that my writing these daily posts aren't an insane effort. So please vote.
Let me know there has been an audience out there. Feel free to forward this to your friends - I won't stop you!
Seriously, any time you put towards voting would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and it is a pain in the a** because you have to register at the site.
Dara (aka Dining Dish) Bunjon
Thursday, November 04, 2010
Baltimore Magazine’s Janelle Erlichman Diamond reached out to me to represent my Dining Dish blog, to be part of their holiday potluck entertaining story for the November issue. Nothing too gourmet, something everyone would enjoy. Two other food bloggers were asked to donate food for the potluck, both friends, very talented friends, Kathy Patterson (minxeats.com) and Kit Pollard (mangoandginger.blogspot.com).
Learn more about the dishes prepared and link to the recipes:
A holiday potluck dinner – recipes included
Wednesday, November 03, 2010
Rachel O’Kaine has done what I wished I would have done when I was younger, she moved to Italy to learn about Italian cuisine from the roots up or for today, the vines down. Rachel wanted to participate in a wine harvest and got her wish. She shares her story here:
I always give credit where credit is due and my latest experience in Italy is due in part to my friend Eric. A month ago, I asked him if he knew of a winery where I could assist with a grape harvest/vendemmia. He asked a friend and his friend in turn recommended I contact Parusso winery
Read Rachel's whole story on the grape harvest: A grape harvest in Italy – Monforte D’Alba
Get all the details on tasting and purchasing this limited release : World premier of a new wine
Tuesday, November 02, 2010
It seems apropos for election day that the Baltimore Sun is kicking off the voting for the best blogs in the city. The number of blogs in the food category has more than doubled from last year. There are all types of food blogs from a nine year old who is a koodie to a blog devoted to hot sauces. Let your voice be heard.
The voting starts today, November 2nd at 8 a.m. and runs through November 12 ending at 5 p.m. The contest is called the Mobbies and I was honored to have won the best foodie blog last year with my Dining Dish blog and came in third for the best overall blog.
You get to vote once a day in the multiple categories as well as the best overall. You will need to sign into the Baltimore Sun’s website but you can do that this year with your Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, AOL or Google log in/password or sign up directly at the Baltimore Sun. Go here to vote http://data.baltimoresun.com/mobbies/2010/voting/
Of course I want you to vote for the DINING DISH every day but my blog might not be the only one you follow. The decision is yours but as is on every election day, it is important to get out and vote.
BE SURE TO VOTE FOR YOU BEST OVERALL BLOG – Hope you choose Dining Dish in both best food blog and best overall.
- 990 Square Life and Cooking in Baltimore, in 990 Square Feet.
- Adryon's Kitchen
- Adventures in Baltimore Restaurants
- Adventures of a Koodie E Eats Everything! A 9 year old that LOVES to eat, and try new restaurants and foods.
- All Top Chef All Top Chef. All the Time.
- Amuse-bouche for Two Documenting our kitchen life.
- Angry Asian Creations From my rice paddy to yours... all creations are homemade & from the heart.
- Baltimore Snacker We are entertained, we learn stuff, and we don't want to smack him. -- Baltimore City Paper
- Beer In Baltimore Preaching good beer in and around Baltimore.
- Binny Cooks Binnycooks is a haven for amateur food lovers, whose budgets are thin, whose kitchens are teensy-tiny, and who may or may not exclusively record episodes of Barefoot Contessa (or own them on DVD).
- Biscuits & Such a southern food blog
- Black Coffee and a Donut I drink my coffee black so I can have a donut
- Bon Appetit Hon Bawlmerese for enjoy your meal!
- Coconut and Lime 100% Fresh, original recipes by Rachel Rappaport, cookbook author and food lover
- Crabs, Crabs, Crabs Exploring Maryland's obsession with crabs
- Dining Dish ... The food sizzle! Rants, raves, recipes, reviews and reminiscences
- Eat. Swim. Shop. Tales of rhinestones, repeats and rainbow sprinkles
- Food and Wine Blog a journey into food, wine, fine dining, travel and culture
- Grow it Eat it Maryland's Food Gardening Network
- HotSauceDaily Hot sauce reviews, BBQ recipes, all foods hot & spicy
- HowChow A guide to food in Howard County with the best dining in Columbia, Ellicott City, Elkridge, Fulton, etc.
- If You Give a Girl a Cookie
- Mango and Ginger food. culture. design. whatever.
- Microcosm K Cooking. Eating. Drinking. Gaming.
- Minxeats dining in. dining out. recaps. recipes.
- My Morning Chocolate Delicious Inspiration for People Who Wake Up Thinking About Food
- Rouxde Cooking School Learn to cook without class
- Savory Simple
- Stone Hill Farm I go around the world to tell a story. So grab your passport and enjoy the trip.
- Sweet Mary Serving up sweet treats, delicious dishes, and local flavor.
- taming the tart for the nutritiously indulgent
- Taste of Baltimore Enjoying the taste of Baltimore's food, wine, and overall deliciousness
- Tasty Trix culinary comforts
- The Beer Cruiser Cruisin' For the Ultimate Beer!
- The Original Beer In Baltimore Blog "Various Musings about beer and beer events in and around Baltimore, Md. and anywhere else I see fit"
- The Upstart Kitchen
- This Is Gonna Be Good In the spirit of Tony Bourdain, food as adventure. Try everything twice in case it was made wrong the first time. Eat without fear or prejudice.
- World of Eats Sharing my extremely passionate feelings on eating, cooking, and everything involved with the World of Eats
The Dining Dish blog was started over five years ago, I thought you might like to journey back to the beginning.